Friday, February 3, 2012

The Garden as Sculpture

Dead of winter...thoughts of gardening! Our postage-stamp sized garden in Cambridge, Massachusetts seems to have filled up with ceramic sculpture. Or is it just the missing foliage that allows us to see the sculptures that were hidden during the summer? To be honest, it's a little bit of both.

Ceramic Towers

My Fence Installation

I've always thought of my gardening efforts as a biological phenomenon. But now anticipating the spring I think of gardening in another way. As we plant, prune, weed, water, and fertilize, is it possible that we're really doing is sculpting a little corner of nature?

Garden Green

I guess it doesn't need to be formal. You don't even have to exert that much control. Could you even control it if you wanted to? But this spring as we start seeing the garden doing its thing, I'll be thinking about how maybe this too is a kind of artistic expression.

Verdant Cambridge Garden

Magenta and White in the September Garden

Open Mouth Ceramic in the Garden

No comments:

Post a Comment