Thursday, February 2, 2012

Composition

A lifelong painter, I'd like to think I have something of an eye for composition. Taking thousands of pictures for my flickr site has given me a chance to learn more about how to compose an image but I think the best examples of composition are found in nature.

Potentilla

Compared with painting, composition is a bit harder to accomplish in 3-D, which is my special challenge with ceramic sculpture, but I think it can be done.

Ceramic Chain

Science aside, from an aesthetic standpoint nature can be said to specialize in composition. One example is the way flowers are arranged to attract pollinators. Over a period of a couple of hundred million years angiosperms (flowering plants) have co-evolved along with their pollinators to get the interaction between species down to a...well...science.

Asclepias

Fly and aster

Fusion

No comments:

Post a Comment