Monday, January 21, 2019

My Year of Orchids: When to give your plants a break

I’m still developing my thoughts on orchids and their need to rest. One of my favorites, Broughtonia domingensis, is my teacher. About six weeks ago she put out a whole new set of roots. Her leaves went from thin and green to leathery and brownish. A couple of sets of leaves turned purple-red and set up spikes. Best time to water, was my conjecture.

Then something strange happened. You might think I’m imagining things but here goes. No matter how thirsty Broughtonia looked she didn’t seem to want to drink. OK a quick mist in the warm afternoons when the sun was on her. But please. No soaking! Somehow she seemed to be telling me “I’m napping! Don’t wake me up.” The roots stopped proliferating, the brownish hello leaves stayed that way, and the spikes haven’t grown. Broughtonia (Laeliopsis) is definitely hibernating.

Her neighbor Encyclia tampensis is doing much the same thing, though Encyclia has responded to a bit more soaking and some fertilizing by developing shiny, larger than ever, pseudobulbs. Her leaves are longer than before and also quite stiff and leathery. But no new root action other than a few new ones at the start of the cool season. It might be time to give Encyclia a rest.

My Bulbophyllums are putting out new roots and pseudobulbs. Cattleya & Co. are doing the same. But now my lovely prolific Neofinetia falcata is done flowering and she looks like she could use a breather. Same thing for Kefersteinia, who’s still flowering and putting on some new growth, but who is responding to water and fertilizer also by turning yellow. Maxillaria arachnitiflora, who has not yet flowered, seems to be in the same boat. “Give me a break!,” she seems to say.

Phals are happy right now in their shady nook with big healthy spikes. But with the days cloudy and cool now for awhile I think I’ll give them some time off.

So it goes in the garden. Each species is different. There don’t seem to be hard and fast rules for anyone, especially not at the generic level. It’s more of a guessing game, taking signals from the plants and responding in a way I My hope is appropriate.

No comments:

Post a Comment