Tuesday, January 22, 2019

My Year of Orchids: Something must be going right

So the other day when I what is finished dipping my Bulbophyllum glauca in smelly compost liquid I noticed for the first time something light green at the bottom of the basket. What a surprise to see you that big fat roots were growing downward.

It seems to me that this is more than just a sign of growth. It also indicates that the potting medium is loose enough and that this relatively new orchid is thriving. Watching the orchid roots in general I see that putting out new roots is a kind of claiming new territory. It’s the orchid’s way of extending its body into space, taking on new risks but also encountering unforetold opportunities. Nice that we can use the garden ourselves as a place of risk and opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment