Sunday, February 17, 2019

My Year of Orchids: A floral conundrum

Why did orchids species (not hybrids) evolve flowers? For us or for their own reproduction? Easy answer right? It’s funny though that we are so focused on orchid flowers. Not just us amateurs. Darwin was transfixed by their complexity and ingenuity, from which he inferred many of his findings on the evolutionary process.

I have to admit I was pretty excited when I saw the flower of Miltonia spectabilis start to emerge. The pictures I had seen explained the “spectacle” of this flower, which was made even cooler for me by its swelling and pushing through a much-imbricating stalk. At first purplish and droopy like a newborn human baby, today the flower presented itself in its full glory. Only one problem. It was facing “backwards” into the tree it is mounted on.

Backwards is a little judgy of me isn’t it? After all I’m always preaching about leaving orchids in trees instead of pots, letting them establish the way they want, and not fretting about directionality or orientation. Feeling like a big hypocrite I contemplated turning the flower around so it would display outward. But let’s face it. What would twisting the flower stalk do for the plant? Probably kill the flower.

So. Deep breath. Trying to find satisfaction with the whole plant and how well it’s done since August. Celebrating less the flower than the flowering. And waiting eagerly for upcoming blooms that orient themselves the “right” way!

No comments:

Post a Comment